Job Title: Tritium System Design Engineer
Department: Research and Development
Reports To: R&D Manager
Revision Date: 08/07/2017
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
The Tritium System Design Engineer will develop the mechanical systems required for safe and reliable operation of PNL’s neutron generators requiring the use of tritium. The Tritium System Design Engineer will also develop systems for manufacturability and serviceability. This position will be responsible for participating in all aspects of design, including requirements gathering, analysis, modeling, verification, BOM management, and supporting designs through production.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive development of engineering design requirements
- Implement design changes to accommodate tritium usage
- Create 3D CAD models of designs
- Analyze designs to prove design criteria are met
- Develops Bills of Materials for complex assemblies
- Coordinate with vendors to ensure manufacturability of designs
- Assembly of prototype units
- Collaborate with test engineers to verify designs
- BS in Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or comparable field
- 5+ years of experience with tritium handling and/or design
- Experience in vacuum systems design/operation
- Experience in molecular flow analysis is preferred
- Experience with turbomachinery is preferred
- Experience with SolidWorks is preferred
Eligibility for employment is conditioned on an individual’s ability to qualify for access to information subject to U.S. Export Controls regulations (U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Asylee or Refugee). Also, an individual’s eligibility may be conditioned based upon access to information classified under the Atomic Energy Act requiring pre-employment drug test, fingerprinting, and a criminal background check.