The Design/Test Engineer will support design, manufacturing, productizing, and testing equipment being developed at PNL. Additionally, he/she will help implement and utilize engineering practices consistent with ISO-9001 standards. The Design/Test Engineer will work towards consistent quality by utilizing quality management systems, validating processes, and producing appropriate documentation.
Desired Functional Expertise:
- Experience with design software packages, such as SolidWorks, MatLab, and specialized software (thermal, electrical, electric fields, etc)
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics with simple to moderate level analog circuits
- Good electromechanical skills. Ability to assemble and wire large electrical / electromechanical components per mechanical drawings and schematics.
- Ability to function in daily environment that has a high level of complexity and that requires several projects be worked on in congruence.
- Ability to perform operational tests and fault isolation on development systems and equipment to ensure conformance with design specifications, diagnose and isolate malfunctions down to component level, conduct defined engineering tests and collect data as assigned.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot, and fix analog circuitry (i.e. power supplies)
- Ability to use soldering equipment to work on PCBs with components as small as 0603, SOT-23, and TSSOP packages.
- Ability to utilize development or diagnostic equipment including oscilloscope, DMM, signal generators, data loggers, and similar equipment.
- Ability to travel to customer facilities for up to 25% of the time, coordinating equipment installation, supervision of contractors, and commissioning.
- BS/MS in electrical, mechanical, or nuclear engineering, or equivalent.
- Experience working in a quality-controlled (ISO-9001 or equivalent) work environments, including the use of BOM, revision control, ERP, and ECOs.
- Working experience with schematics, diagrams, written and verbal descriptions, layouts or defined plans to perform routine testing, checkout, troubleshooting, prototype building, environmental testing, and simple developmental engineering tasks.
- Fluent computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be able to deal with disagreements about technical issues with team members. This means understanding that disagreements and associated discussions are an important part PNL’s culture, and one must be able to handle disagreements in an assertive, yet respectful manner.
- Ability to stoop, bend, lift, twist, and stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to repeatedly lift 30 pounds.